Getting back to my series on old record advertisements from vintage jazz magazines, here's a new installment. Clef magazine (April to July 1946) is the source and labels are West Coast Recordings, Excelsior and Cadet.
TRULY WONDERFUL: MARTY GROSZ, BOB HAVENS, BOB BARNARD, BOBBY GORDON, KEITH
INGHAM, BOB HAGGART, HAL SMITH (Conneaut Lake Jazz Party, August 25, 1992)
-
It’s difficult for me to imagine a better band. Marty Grosz, guitar, vocal,
repartee; Bob Havens, trombone; Bob Barnard, cornet; Bobby Gordon,
clarinet; Ke...
Hace 3 días

From Donald Clarke:
ResponderEliminar"Interesting. Mingus had 78s on Excelsior too, I think."
Yes, Donald. The Mingus Sextet (1945) and Mingus & his Orchestra (1946) sessions, both included in the Uptown CD "Charles Baron Mingus - West Coast 1945-1949".
ResponderEliminarFrom Donald Clarke:
ResponderEliminar"That Uptown release was very exciting; I remember Chuck Nessa showing me the booklet before the CD came out. We were at the Chicago Jazz Festival, must have been 2000. I thought the booklet alone was almost worth the price!"